In response to my ideas on spending there were various other suggestions from readers. The most popular with readers were :
- Costs of government. There was strong support for fewer peers and fewer expenses and allowances for peers. Some wanted fewer MPs and less generous expenses for MPs. There was widespread enthusiasm for a cull of quangos, especially those supporting politically correct causes.
- Cut public money to charities and arts where this can be raised by voluntary donation and from admission charges
- Remove subsidies for alternative energy
- Charge all overseas visitors who use the NHS
- Reduce numbers of migrants needing financial support
- Make the BBC a subscription service