If all goes as planned Parliament will end the current session this week and prepare for a King’s speech and a State Opening.
Given the state of the polls and recent by elections I assume this Parliament has at least a year to run before the next election to give the PM more time to demonstrate the competence he talks about and to deliver his five pledges.
The main opportunities he has to show the change he says the public wants rest on the year’s legislative agenda to be set out in the King’s speech, and changes made in the November and April budgets to come. I will be presenting detailed proposals for the budget shortly. Today I am interested in your ideas for legislation.
My own priorities are unlikely to appear. I would like to see
1 A small boats Bill to make clear to UK courts that Parliament does not want Human Rights Law to impede decisions and removals of illegal migrants from the UK
2. The completion of the Northern Ireland Protocol Bill to remove the problems with the Windsor Framework,restoring UK government of NI.
3. Restoration of the full EU Retained Law Bill with more EU law repeals and amendments.
4 Tax Reduction and Simplification Bill
5. A Wider Ownership Bill setting out more ways to promote ownership of homes, shares and businesses
6. A public sector productivity Bill creating opportunities for state employees to buy out their managerial and administrative tasks in government through an employee buy out.
7 A privatisation Bill to facilitate the sale of all remaining shares in Nat West and to sell Channel 4. Bill to be fast tracked to complete sales next year.
8. A People’s BBC Bill as discussed here before