The night before Christmas- JR’s verse or worse

Carols from Kings
Mulled wine for all
Joy to sing
Holly in the hall

Great aromas from the pot
Sauce and gammon hot
Mulled wine simmers
Outside shivers
Pudding steaming,
Of presents dreaming

Carols from Kings
Mulled wine for all
Joy to sing
Holly in the hall

Guest arriving,
As snow is driving.
Let past cares drift
Think of Noel gift
Christmas lights shine
Flames leap from the wine.

Carols from Kings,
Mulled wine for all
Joy to sing
Holly in the hall

Fill happy the home
Leave no-one alone
Carve the meat
Give all a treat
Christmas is tomorrow
So banish all sorrow

1. Mike Stallard
    Posted December 24, 2011 at 6:54 am | Permalink

Let me be among the very first people to wish you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Prosperous New Year. And thank you for your very wonderful blog which makes me think!

• Duyfken
      Posted December 24, 2011 at 8:18 am | Permalink

Hear, hear!

2. David Price
    Posted December 24, 2011 at 7:14 am | Permalink

Thank you for your illuminating blog – have a merry Christmas, a happy and prosperous 2012.

3. alan jutson
    Posted December 24, 2011 at 8:20 am | Permalink

John

A Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Many thanks for your daily blog which gives us an insight into the workings of Parliament, your thoughts and forensic analysis of the finances of state, without which certainly I would much less aware.

Also a Merry Christmas to all of the contributors to you site, which helps make it so interesting.

Let us hope that Next year will be rather more prosperous than the last. (well I can live in hope)

4. lifelogic
    Posted December 24, 2011 at 8:22 am | Permalink

Thanks JR for all your effort throughout the year, I do not know how on earth you find the time to do all you do.

In 2005 over Christmas I remember radio 3 memorably played just JS Bach for 10 days – is it not time for a repeat? That would help “banish all sorrow” for me. Still there is “the early music show” and much else that is still good on radio 3 despite the efforts of the many modernisers there.

Reply: Thanks. The Kings College service is always uplifitng and a great tradition.

• forthurst
      Posted December 24, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

lifelogic, I endorse your sentiments entirely, especially as some of us have a hard time remaining on topic and others find Newspeak difficult to master.

‘Modernisation’ to my mind is a euphemism for a process both dark and disreputable, none more so than when applied to the adulteration of high culture, as an expression of Western civilisation, in the search for ‘equivalence’ and ‘relevance’.

• lifelogic
      Posted December 24, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

“The Kings College service is always uplifitng and a great tradition well” – Yes but I do have to fast forward through all that waffling on between the bits of music.

5. zorro
    Posted December 24, 2011 at 9:27 am | Permalink

Thanks for your blogging over the last year.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Zorro

6. Mazz
    Posted December 24, 2011 at 10:00 am | Permalink

Thank you, John, for all the work you put into your daily diary blog. This is the first port of call of the day for me, followed by the Slog, Doug Carswell, Dan Han. and others; I need my daily fix! The public needs to learn as much as possible what goes on behind the scenes of Politics. Better informed – wiser decisions!

I’m wondering who wrote the Carol?

Have a happy Christmas and all the best for 2012.

Reply: I wrote the verse for today.

• Mazz
      Posted December 24, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

That is lovely, thank you!

7. Kenneth
    Posted December 24, 2011 at 10:18 am | Permalink

Thank you for your fantastic blog, John.

As oasis of common sense.

I think some progress was made this year. Long way to go.

Merry Christmas to you & family

8. Atlas
    Posted December 24, 2011 at 10:44 am | Permalink

Amen to the King’s Coll. service. Wending its way to the outer reaches of the British influence via the oft-fading Short Wave Wireless service of the BBC…

9. Brian Tomkinson
    Posted December 24, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

John,

Thank you for your stimulating daily blogs and enjoy a very Happy Christmas.

“…I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round…

as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable time; the only time I

know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women

seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think

of people below them as if they really were fellow passengers to the

grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys.”

– Charles Dickens

‘A Christmas Carol’

10. Catherine in Athens
    Posted December 24, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

A very merry Christmas, John! I appreciate and applaud the sentiments in your verse. Many thanks for all your posts this year. Have a good break, and come back refreshed for all that 2012 will throw at us.

11. Denis Cooper
    Posted December 24, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

Many thanks for your efforts over the year, including the verse, and I suggest that your generosity towards your critics and opponents deserves recognition.

A Merry Christmas, and against all hope and expectation a Prosperous New Year.

12. Bryan
    Posted December 24, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

Lang may yer lum reek

13. Daisy
    Posted December 24, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

A very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year: thank you for all your tireless work, and good luck with all your endeavours in 2012.

14. Gordon
    Posted December 24, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

Mr Redwood,

A very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and yours, and a thanks from me for your past efforts and strength to your arm for the battles to come.

15. Richard
    Posted December 24, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

I would like to echo the comments of all those who have written before me.

At this very special time of the year thank you Mr Redwood very much, for your illuminating articles which I enjoy each day and for the the pleasure of reading the comments of the many interesting contributors to your truly excellent and influential site.

I spent some time on the web to find out who wrote the lovely Christmas carol you published but then I saw that it was you.
    I am very impressed… you have even more hidden talents!

16. David
    Posted December 24, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

A Merry Christmas to Mr Redwood, and many thanks for maintaining this blog so diligently- it’s a daily compulsory read for most here, and not being a natural economist, has aided my own learning enormously. (as much from the comments too.)

17. Martyn
    Posted December 24, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

John,
    I wish thee and thine a happy, pleasant and peaceful Christmas holdiay. Thank you for all your thoughtful, interesting observions and views. I look forward to seeing more of them in 2012, you quite often add value to my day….

18. Libby
    Posted December 24, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

Happy Christmas and keep the Eurosceptic pressure on during 2012. Your blog is brilliant – many thanks.

19. electro-kevin
    Posted December 24, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Permalink

Happy Christmas

A good year’s work I might add. Thank you.

20. Cynfeeaarr
    Posted December 24, 2011 at 10:29 pm | Permalink

Never tire of entreating you to keep on keeping on with your thought provoking blog. I wish you and yours the best of everything for Christmas and 2012.