Contributions to this website

A few lively contributors have got back to sending me numerous contributions each day, and to writing very long essays from time to time. I am finding it difficult to moderate all of this, and would urge some restraint. Let us have the best of what you want to say. Otherwise I will just have to remove the longer  ones or the multiples from the same source.

1. Bert Young
    Posted December 16, 2013 at 11:32 am | Permalink

Fully agree . It is boring to read so, many of your replies that seem to annexe your site .

2. Lifelogic
    Posted December 16, 2013 at 11:38 am | Permalink

Very sorry.

Anyway I have endless and absurdly complex tax returns, and tax planning to do over the next few weeks (and endless family visiting too). This should distract me somewhat. Of course it also distracts me from productive activity such as running my businesses more profitably thus paying more tax, employing more people, helping growth and exporting more good and services.

Still I do not design or control the mad system of taxation – Osborne and the Coalition do for a few more months.

• Credible
      Posted December 16, 2013 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

I find it hard to believe anyone can run a business properly and spend so much time on here.

• Lifelogic
        Posted December 16, 2013 at 7:29 pm | Permalink

I do not sleep much, choose good staff (usually), set a direction and delegate rather a lot.

3. lifelogic
    Posted December 16, 2013 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

It is reported, by the BBC, that Sir Howard Davis very sensibly wants hub expansion at Heathrow but has been asked to avoid the word “Heathrow”. Might I suggest Heathwick or Gatrow a 5 or 6 runway hub with a HS shuttle between the sites. Then Cameron can use that as yet another fig leaf!

4. Terry
    Posted December 16, 2013 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

Then don’t moderate every comment, John.

Introduce a “Report” feature, much as the newspapers do, added to the comments. This can alert you to the unsavoury postings for your action and we readers would provide the alert. Specialist Software can block offensive words and convert swearwords into text characters like ‘stars’.
    This would certainly free up some of your time and I cannot see why the extra costs should not be claimed as a legitimate expense.

Reply I do not claim any of the costs of this site.

5. Tad Davison
    Posted December 16, 2013 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

Well I’ll be concise with this one, although to do the subject justice, I could write a book on it!

I have just watched the BBC’s Daily Politics show, and the first part was the closest I’ve seen to an outright party political broadcast for the Labour party. The guest, John McTernan, was given free and unfettered rein to spout his left-wing drivel without proper challenge. I much prefer any view to be challenged in an open debate, not merely given a pulpit.

To show how dangerous these people are, he rubbished subjects that are very close to the hearts of the British people, indicating that he would not allow them to have their say. So what of the prospects for democracy under Labour’s stewardship?

I’d say people need to watch today’s programme and take from it the dangers of another Labour government, lest they are once more enticed into the spider’s web!

Tad Davison

Cambridge

• lifelogic
      Posted December 16, 2013 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

Prospects of a fair (or any) referendum under Miliband virtually nil and under Cameron almost nil. Prospect of Cameron winning an overall majority virtually nil.
      Prospect of UKIP making any difference virtually nil. All very depressing and it could have been so different had Cameron not thrown the last election with his EU ratting, Clegg’s TV billing and his soft left tone.

But perhaps post the MEP voting in May some miracle can still happen.

6. bigneil
    Posted December 16, 2013 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

short enough?

7. Atlas
    Posted December 16, 2013 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

I agree, John. I try to make my contributions short, but to the point. They are not PhD dissertations!

8. margaret brandreth-j
    Posted December 16, 2013 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

John, I think you do a marvelous job and I wonder how you ever get through the comments every day. I do think that some who do write extensive comments though must be more academic than myself.
    I wonder how you are so motivated to write daily and sometimes twice or more.Surely it becomes hard work rather than enjoyment

• Robert
      Posted December 16, 2013 at 8:47 pm | Permalink

JR probably survives on less than the four hours sleep that dear old Maggie did!

9. Max Dunbar
    Posted December 16, 2013 at 10:20 pm | Permalink

Teacher has told the class to be quiet but it wont be long before the incorigible chatterboxes reach a crescendo again.

10. Mark W
    Posted December 17, 2013 at 6:51 am | Permalink

Not guilty this time. I’ve stuck to just reading for a very long time now.

11. Posted December 17, 2013 at 10:31 am | Permalink

Mr. Redwood,

Your concern is understandable, but I hope you do not class replies to your replies as multiples. I have always thought that the parliamentary ‘guillotine’ is a political device to shut down opposition.

I would hope that replies that are on subject and pertinent will still be allowed to be read.

John Wrake.

12. Tad Davison
    Posted December 17, 2013 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

A victim of its own success John.

In this blog’s creation, you may have inadvertently provided a conduit for the ideas and opinions of some very cogent people, who then influence those in Westminster and elsewhere, whom I know for a fact read it on a regular basis. For instance, it might not have been possible to get Mr Cameron to commit to a renegotiated settlement of our membership of the EU without it.

Tad

13. Normandee
    Posted December 17, 2013 at 6:08 pm | Permalink

“and please stop pointing out that my position on Europe whilst supporting Cameron is untenable, I know, but I am frit of doing anything that might involve taking a stand that might weaken my hold on comfort”.

14. boffin
    Posted December 17, 2013 at 10:54 pm | Permalink

This site is distinguished not only by the quality of Mr. Redwood’s observations but also by the very high quality of comments offered versus those on other political platforms (albeit after moderation).

The software facility for ‘comments on comments’ has proved to be a very mixed blessing (here and elsewhere); I fancy that we were better off before it emerged, particularly now that a number of esteemed regular commenters seem to be afflicted with verbal diarrhoea and use the facility to indulge in interpersonal bickering at great length, with detriment to the original topic.

Please, folks, don’t do this … please try to limit your posts to, say, a maximum of two well-considered posts per topic, in the best interests of all.

15. Robert Taggart
    Posted December 25, 2013 at 11:28 am | Permalink

Agreed Johnny. Agree with the sentiment of Speaker Bercow even – “…keep it pithy…” – never thought one would say that !