Election Day

Today is the day for the voters to speak through their votes. I will not be posting about the UK today, until after the polls have closed.

1. Mondeo Man
    Posted May 7, 2015 at 5:21 am | Permalink

I don’t trust the Tories on the referendum:

– Lisbon

– Why 2017 and not immediately ? Scotland got her referendum on breaking up Britain almost instantly. (This, surely, had far reaching economic ramifications to match Brexit but didn’t stop it being held.)

– Fruitcakes, loons and racists was a far worse slur against those campaigning for a referendum than brown’s ‘bigotted woman’

– In Tory voting circles Eurosceptics are often referred to as ‘headbangers’

– There has been no pause in mass immigration (now at a critical stage) and no pause in EU laws before the much vaunted ‘renegotiations’ have taken place.

– The Tory press and BBC have been biased against UKIP. All indications are that the referendum will be run in the same manner.

– Certain issues would not have been talked about if Nigel Farage had not forced them.

2. Old Albion
    Posted May 7, 2015 at 5:36 am | Permalink

I wish you good luck today John.

3. Cheshire Girl
    Posted May 7, 2015 at 6:10 am | Permalink

I wish you success today, John. Hope all goes well.

4. Steve Cox
    Posted May 7, 2015 at 6:27 am | Permalink

It looks like the turkeys are going to vote for Christmas.

5. alan jutson
    Posted May 7, 2015 at 7:22 am | Permalink

Our household members will do their duty this morning.

Good luck John, you have earned it.

6. Lifelogic
    Posted May 7, 2015 at 7:35 am | Permalink

One of the most stupid comments I have heard on the BBC was that the public “wanted coalition/minority government to continue”.

Just because the public is evenly split on the issue clearly does not leads to the conclusion they actually want wet and indecisive coalition government to continue. How can anyone think in such an irrational way?

We shall see very shortly if Miliband promise to thieve off landlords, mug the rich, abolish non-doms, and damage the economy in so many other ways has managed to con sufficient people into voting for him. Are the voters on the left really so consumed with envy, entitlement and pathetic jealousy – we shall see?

7. DaveM
    Posted May 7, 2015 at 7:38 am | Permalink

There are many people who will vote Conservative or Labour in the GE, and Ukip in the local council elections. If Ukip sweep the board in the locals do you think the Conservatives – if they form a government – will get the not-so-subtle message that has been sent? Just speculation, I know, but something worth thinking about.

8. margaret brandreth-j
    Posted May 7, 2015 at 7:45 am | Permalink

Just been to the local polling station to vote ……..and my name was not on the list . I have been going to the same place for 30 years. Apparently they sent me a postal vote which somehow I havn’t got.

Reply Talk to Returning officer to sort this out. You are entitled to one vote, but of course there are strict controls to stop postal voters voting twice.

9. Lifelogic
    Posted May 7, 2015 at 7:55 am | Permalink

Will Miliband/Moses commandments (carved on his pathetic tablet of stone & including the promise to rob landlords, non doms and the rich, in order to buy votes with other people’s money) prove to be Miliband’s tomb stone? I do hope so.

10. Bert Young
    Posted May 7, 2015 at 8:02 am | Permalink

Understood . Good luck anyway .

• Qubus
      Posted May 7, 2015 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

The best of luck to you.

11. stred
    Posted May 7, 2015 at 8:13 am | Permalink

Good luck and thanks. The next few weeks will be interesting.

12. Denis Cooper
    Posted May 7, 2015 at 8:15 am | Permalink

Once again I wish you well, JR, but without wishing you luck which you will not actually need to keep your seat and would be more valuable to certain other candidates.

• Man of Kent
      Posted May 7, 2015 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

Hear ,hear !

13. Horatio McSherry
    Posted May 7, 2015 at 9:01 am | Permalink

John,

I’m sure you don’t need it but good luck for today.

Kind Regards

14. Denis Cooper
    Posted May 7, 2015 at 9:20 am | Permalink

I’m wondering what the turnout will be, and despite the expectation that it will be very high in Scotland I’m guessing an average of 63% across the UK as a whole.

• outsider
      Posted May 7, 2015 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

That sounds quite likely Denis. My only prediction, many moons ago, was that the turnout would be down on the 65 per cent in 2010 unless one or both of the two newer parties made a breakthrough in the opinion polls, which did not happen. But the election campaign has been so much longer under the fixed term system that who knows?

Reply I expect turnout to be up given the interest in this election.

15. Tad Davison
    Posted May 7, 2015 at 10:09 am | Permalink

Said it before, and I’m not afraid to say it again. You are one Tory I would vote for. We (and they) need more like you, whichever party they come from.

Tad

• Denis Cooper
      Posted May 7, 2015 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

I too would seriously consider voting for JR, if I lived in Wokingham rather than Maidenhead and if I thought there was any chance that he could be displaced by a candidate lacking his patriotism.

But when my wife and I went to vote no such considerations about possibly casting a tactical vote to defend the incumbent Tory MP applied, at least not as far as I was concerned.

We have a young granddaughter staying with us and we took her along to see what was happening and try to provide her with a rudimentary understanding about elections and voting, but to be honest I’m not sure why we bothered.

• outsider
      Posted May 7, 2015 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

How very true.

16. Gordon Riby
    Posted May 7, 2015 at 10:36 am | Permalink

Good luck. The odds seem to favour Labour/SNP. I sincerely hope for the good of all that this does not happen.

• Denis Cooper
      Posted May 7, 2015 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

There is no such thing as “Labour/SNP”, it is a figment of the imagination.

17. ian wragg
    Posted May 7, 2015 at 10:58 am | Permalink

Just cast my vote for local UKIP candidate together with my wife. We have a rabid Europhile Labour MP but on a very slim majority so the Tories don’t stand a chance.
    Good luck John but I don’t think you will get anything like a majority after the lacklustre campaign and CMD’s track record.
    I still think he will be remembered as the man who couldn’t win an election despite having the most awful competition in history.

18. Richard Hobbs
    Posted May 7, 2015 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

Best wishes for success to you today.

19. Jon
    Posted May 7, 2015 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

Well best of luck. With all that’s been achieved it’s depressing that so many will vote against a continuation.

20. M Davis
    Posted May 7, 2015 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

Best wishes for today, JR and thank you for this great blog.

• REPay
      Posted May 8, 2015 at 3:29 am | Permalink

Thanks for your consistently, interesting, fact-based analysis.

Against all odds a good result looks likely, despite the mood music from our public broadcaster and the polls!

21. Monty
    Posted May 7, 2015 at 10:11 pm | Permalink

I wish you luck John, though I doubt you need it.
    My vote, early this morning in this diehard labour constituency, went to UKIP.

22. Tim
    Posted May 7, 2015 at 11:06 pm | Permalink

Good luck John. I hope the BBC exit poll is right as I write.

23. Gordon Riby
    Posted May 8, 2015 at 9:15 am | Permalink

I cannot describe my relief at the national result. Best outcome for all. Even for non Conservative voters!